Hey everyone, during the past few months we have been working on launching an open & participatory survey to explore effects of the COVID-19 pandemic not only on physical health, but also its consequences on mental health and other factors.
To assess these impacts we will ask participants from around the globe to participate in a daily survey. It’s designed to be as short as possible and will take less than 5 minutes per day when nothing has changed for the participant and slightly more if something has changed (falling sick, being confined/deconfined, changes in life circumstances etc).
The project is an international collaboration that involves the Center for Research and Interdisciplinarity (Université de Paris, INSERM U1284), Notre Dame University, the Open Source Pharma Foundation and includes people from France, Australia, Canada, India, USA and Costa Rica. Consequently we’re planning to offer the survey and website materials etc in multiple languages. What sets our survey apart from other projects like it, is that we:
will deposit of all of your survey data into your Open Humans account, so that you can use your own copy of the responses as you seem fit (e.g. explore them via notebooks!),
will involve participants in adding new research questions and survey items to the survey as it evolves over time. To that end we created a sub-category on the Open Humans Forums for the survey, in which you can interact with us and become a part of the team: https://forums.openhumans.org/c/group-activities/covid-open-survey/15
Our survey has already been approved by the French Comités de Protection des Personnes (the regional ethics approval body) and the Institutional Review Board of Notre Dame University. See the letters of approval here:
We’d like to already ask for review at this stage, as the project website is basically done with only cosmetic changes to be expected (adding the logos of partners to the footer, extending the FAQ, adding more translations). The current version already works end to end for testing but we expect to restart the survey once we have approval for the activity (this will allow us to start with a fresh set of data), so following an approval here we would appreciate waiting to be set live to have the website fully ready to have a coordinated launch.
Thanks so much,
Should this project be visible and available for all Open Humans members to join?
Please vote Approve or Deny , and/or comment.
- Project website: www.OpenCovid.care
- Activity page: https://www.openhumans.org/activity/covid-open-survey/
- Source Code: https://github.com/gedankenstuecke/opensurvey/
- Project review guide: Project Review Guide
- Project guidelines: https://www.openhumans.org/community-guidelines/#project
- Title : Covid Open Survey
- Managed by: Ariel Lindner, Bastian Greshake Tzovaras
- Description: The OpenCovid survey is a 5 minute questionnaire created for people who want to help fight the COVID-19 virus from the comfort of their home. It consists of a short questionnaire, followed by a daily check-in on how you are feeling. A wide variety of questions are asked, some of which can be answered daily, others that appear on a rolling basis in order toalways keep it fresh!
Our goal? To better understand the virus’ transmission patterns and its effect on physical and mental health. We want to understand how the virus spreads, who it affects most, and how it impacts our daily lives. We hope this may guide future public health decisions and medication repurposing.
- Project website: Covid Open Survey